[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Mon Aug 15 13:49:48 GMT 2005

On Monday 15 August 2005 02:42 am, Claude Jones wrote:
> The rndc stuff I referred to has to with
> getting named.conf and rndc.conf to refer to a secret key in order to
> do dns.

Just realized that it's r n d c. With the small font I'm using I thought
it was m d c (the r really close to the n looks like an m).
A secret key in order to administer bind as it allows for remote
administration.
I run BIND on my server here (an ancient SuSE 7.3 installation) but have
never used the rndc utility. When I rebuild the server I'm switching
over to djbdns.

Maybe you're just running a DNS proxy and no content server.
If you do "dig samba.org" does the line with SERVER have your server's
IP address?
If you do "dig one.of.your.systems" (an FQDN for one of your systems),
do you get an answer (is ANSWER: = 1)?

Feel free to reply off list if desired as this is getting less samba
related.