[Samba] Machine name defined on AD Server; unable to join linux machine -- receiving error.

pctbeta pctbeta at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 11:54:27 GMT 2005

Samba version 3.0.0.14.3E
Linux Enterprise version 2.4.21-4
Server Role: ROLE DOMAIN MEMBER
Not currently using kerberos.

This is part of my smb.conf.

[global]
        workgroup = WKGRP
        netbios name = NAME
        server string = Samba Server
        security = DOMAIN
        password server = PASS_SERV
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log level = 3
        max log size = 50
        local master = No
        wins server = xx.xxx.xxx.xxx

On the ADS side, I have the linux machine name, NAME, defined without any other
setup.  According to the ADS administrators, I do not need a user/password
since the machine is defined with the authentication.

I am trying to join the linux machine to the ADS.  This is what I have tried to
no avail:

net ads join -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
net join -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
net join NAME -s /etc/samba/smb.conf
net ads join -w WKGRP
net ads join -U administrator -s /etc/samba/smb.conf

1) If I have the linux machine name defined on the ADS prior to having joining
the domain, is this the proper way?
2) Any suggestions on what I might need to change?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Magdalene