[Samba] Windows XP SP2 on a Samba 3.0.10 PDC - roaming profiles won't work

Thomas Skyt thomas at sofagang.dk
Sun Aug 14 15:55:49 GMT 2005

Hi All,

I am having some trouble getting Windows XP with SP2 connected to a
Samba 3.0.10-based domain controller. With SP1, I only had to change a
single registry key to prevent Windows from demanding a signed
connection, then it worked.
But with SP2, and the same samba-configuration, I have noticed that upon
log-off, the user's profile is updated by the user "root" of the group
"users", effectively preventing the real user from accessing the data on
the next logon (since I employ user-only access restrictions for the
profiles-subdirectories).

I have tried forcing other create-modes, (world-read- and writable), but
Windows still refuses to read the profile and tells me, that a temporary
local profile has been used instead.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the reasons for this mis-behaviour
may be? The local "Windows firewall" has been deactivated, thus that
should not be the problem.

/Thomas
--
When you say "I wrote a program that crashed Windows", people just
free". - Linus Torvalds, 1995