[Samba] SIDs and UIDs and RIDs - Oh My!

Moondance Foxmarnick calabash at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 14 00:57:32 GMT 2005

So you're saying that part of a SID is a RID and the RID is fixed item deep
within the Windows code?

And when a Windows user logs on that is also part of the group "Domain
Users" the 513 RID gets appended to the 128 (-3) bit SID?

So if I have a *Nix user with the UID of 513, I'll cause a "NT doesn't like
that" message in my logs - but it will still resolve? Or will it not allow
the user to log on?

And finally - *Nix does not have RIDs - right?

I don't think I've used so many question marks in one post before!

All I need to know is that if I just don't use the UIDs of 500 - 553 I'll be
okay. But I really would like to understand it.

-Moondance