[Samba] Re: Cross-subnet browsing...AGAIN!!!

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Sat Aug 13 21:37:12 GMT 2005

On Saturday 13 August 2005 05:06 pm, Robin Bowes wrote:
> Do you know what the default value is?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160177

XP default is the same as 2k/NT.

If WINS has all the information needed type 2 will work fine (and create
a lot less traffic). If WINS isn't complete then type 8 is generally
the best.

> What I don't understand is:
>
> 1. Why can't I see Tosh from Batmobile?
> 2. Why can't I see Tosh from Tosh ??!!
> 3. Why can't I see Tosh, Batmobile, or Dude from Tosh2?
> 4. Why can't I see Tosh2 from Tosh, Batmobile, or Dude?

My guess is that they can all "see" each other; that they can share
files and printers with each other. They just can't browse each other
shared resources via Network Places (Neighborhoods, etc).
But this shouldn't stop from using these resources - you will just have
to manually type them in.

I believe that if you want NetBIOS browsing to work across subnets, you
need a WINS server on each subnet.

Chris