[Samba] Re: Cross-subnet browsing...AGAIN!!!

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Sat Aug 13 21:19:50 GMT 2005

OK, here's an update.

I decided to take a more methodical approach to diagnosing this problem.
I started by moving all computers onto the same subnet (192.168.1.x).
I then shutdown all client PCs, restarted samba, and restarted the
client PCs.

I found that all PCs showed up and browsing worked perfectly, except for
the PC named "dude". This had the Computer Description set to 'Toshiba
P20-102 17" widescreen laptop'. I changed this to: 'Toshiba1' and
repeated the restart process and all PCs are now functioning perfectly
on the HOME workgroup.

(BTW, is this a known problem?)

The next step will be to move tosh2 back onto the 192.168.4.x subnet and
restart everything to see if it gets picked up. If not, I'll try the
netbios-node-type option suggested by David.

If I'm still stuck after that, I'll be back!

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com

If a man speaks in a forest,