[Samba] Re: Cross-subnet browsing...AGAIN!!!

Robin Bowes robin-lists at robinbowes.com
Sat Aug 13 21:06:43 GMT 2005

David Krider wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 09:27 +0100, Robin Bowes wrote:
>
>>Doug VanLeuven wrote:
>>
>>>Robin Bowes wrote:
>>>All the XP machines are pointing to 192.168.1.5 for wins?
>>
>>Yes. It's assigned by DHCP. dhcpd on the 192.168.1.x network:
>>
>>option netbios-name-servers                     192.168.1.5;
>

> What's your netbios-node-type set to in your dhcpd.conf file? My server
> is setup on another subnet, and I don't have problems. My value is set
> to 4, but you may want to try 8.

David,

I have no value set and didn't know about this parameter. I found it in
the dhcp-options man page:

        option netbios-node-type uint8;

           The NetBIOS node type option  allows  NetBIOS  over  TCP/IP
clients
           which  are  configurable  to  be  configured  as  described
in  RFC
           1001/1002.  The value is specified as a single octet  which
identi-
           fies the client type.

           Possible node types are:

           1    B-node: Broadcast - no WINS

           2    P-node: Peer - WINS only

           4    M-node: Mixed - broadcast, then WINS

           8    H-node: Hybrid - WINS, then broadcast

Do you know what the default value is?

R.
--
http://robinbowes.com