[Samba] problems with name resolution in a small home network

Claude Jones claudedjones at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 02:23:20 GMT 2005

Pardon me if I don't adhere to list protocol - this is my first post:

I have a simple home network with a seemingly intractable problem. I'm pretty
new to Samba, though, and I can't help but think the answer, like the
purloined letter in Edgar Allan Poe's story, is staring me in the face.
Various folks have been helping me over on the Fedora list for 9 days, now,
so I thought I'd try this problem here.

The networks consists of the following:
A linux Fedora Core server running several services, right on the net: It's
Samba name is vrproductions2 - it's robustly firewalled but, temporarily, all
connections are allowed between the lan and the firewall. This machine is
doing dhcp for the lan, and routing.
The lan consists of three Windows machines:
FHB is not a concern, is running Win98, and is just getting routed to the net.
StudioPC is fixed ip 192.168.2.32 and two hard drives are being shared.
Julimobile is a laptop that gets its ip from the dhcp server on the Linux box
and both of its drives are shared.
As currently configured, I get the following:
Open a konqueror browser window and enter "smb:/ and I get my 'workgroup'
icon; click on that, and I get the three PC's that have shares opened,
VRPRODUCTIONS2, STUDYPC, and JULIMOBILE; Click on each of these in turn, and
I see the shares; in the case of JULIMOBILE and VRPRODUCTIONS2, clicking on
these shares allows me to enter to the root directories of the shares, and
then browse all shared folders; clicking on STUDIOPC results in an error.

"Internal Error
Please send a full bug report at http://bugs.kde.org
libsmbclient reported an error, but did not specify what the problem is. This
might indicate a severe problem with your network - but also might indicate a
problem with libsmbclient.
If you want to help us, please provide a tcpdump of the network interface
while you try to browse (be aware that it might contain private data, so do
not post it if you are unsure about that - you can send it privately to the
developers if they ask for it)"

On the other hand, if I enter "smb://192.168.2.32" in the konqueror address
window, I can get into STUDYPC and browse its folders just fine...
STUDYPC is listed in hosts  and lmhosts

Here is my smb.conf:
[global]
workgroup=workgroup
hosts allow = 192.168.2., 127.
local master=yes
domain master=yes
os level = 65
wins support=yes
name resolve order=lmhosts host wins bcast
ldap ssl = No
restrict anonymous = no
server string = Samba
max protocol = NT