[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

Ilia Chipitsine ilia at paramon.ru
Fri Aug 12 06:32:12 GMT 2005

>>> Again, normal when installed as a "network printer".
>>
>> I don't understand why this worked before, then. If that was broken
>> behaviour in NT Workstation, I want to find out how to break it
>> again, because within the limits of NT, it was quite convenient.
>
> I want to confess that my info is based on 2k/xp systems. It has been
> very long since I've seen an NT system (outside of some old servers I
> still maintain but wouldn't want to breath on them for fear that they
> will croak before we are ready), and there are some details I just no
> longer remember (and it gets worse every year).
>
> So NT 4 (or is it 3.51? - I don't think anyone is still running
> something before that) may be different in this regard.
>
>> I read somewhere that because NT installs printer drives into
>> non-user-space, ordinary users aren't allowed to install drivers, no
>> matter what the policy says. Of course that's contradicted by pages
>> like this: http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/121/18/2.htm
>
> Under 2k/xp the driver needs to be installed by an admin user (the first
> instance of the network printer) before the domain users can add their
> instances of the printer.

You can tweak it by managing GPO/LGPO, yes, by default only Administrators
can upload device drivers, but You can allow that thing for anyone.

actually there're two bad solutions provided by Microsoft:

1) the need of uploading printer drivers at least once by Administrator

2) or the need to allow anyone to upload any driver.