[Samba] Permissions not recursive on win2K?

Shawn Wright swright at sls.bc.ca
Thu Aug 11 21:40:14 GMT 2005

Way back on Mar 10 2004, I wrote this:

==========
Perhaps this is a known problem, and if so, hopefully it is fixed in 3.x:

Win2K SP4 clients, Samba 2.2.8a servers on Linux using ACL support with
XFS filesystem (Redhat SGI-XFS build, and Mandrake 9.2).

Adding/editing an ACL for an NT domain group (or user) to a folder on samba, and
attempting to apply permissions to all subdirs and files only goes one
level deep when using the win2k standard gui tool. ie: Only ACLS for the
selected folder and files in top level are touched. Problem does not occur
when using an NT4 client. Interestingly, using the NT4 security dialog on
win2k (by way of the RSHXMENU powertoy for NT) works fine on win2K.

Is this a known issue? I can provide conf and debug output if necessary,
but I assumed someone else must have seen this already (and fixed it? :-)
==========

Then, I got this reply:

>On 24 Mar 2004 at 9:13, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
>
> Yup.  It is fixed in 3.0 what what I remember.  Jeremy worked on it.

Eventually I got around to upgrading the affected servers to 3.0.11, but
the problem persists, and I didn't have time to dig into it. Now I need to
replace two samba servers, and would like to resolve this issue. I've now
read the release notes from 3.0.12 to 3.0.20RC2 and couldn't find
mention of a fix.

Any ideas?

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager
Shawnigan Lake School