[Samba] Network Map, query and log problem

Claudemir F. Martins claudemir.martins at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 19:31:11 GMT 2005

Hello Friends,

I have a lot of small problems with a Samba Server and I would like
some help please !

About my network
---------------------------
- Server Samba version 3.0.10-1.fc2

- The Samba server uses NIS to maintain the users account and I just
need to create the samba users (smbpasswd -a user)

- There is an entry in the /etc/passwd for each cliente machine
(machine account)

- The machine are created in the Samba (machine account)

- The client machines are W2000 loging in the domain.

Problem 01
-----------------
The client machines were added to the domain, however the users home
directories are not automatically mapped on logon, each user have to
map it by hand (with: net use U:  \\myserver\userhome)

If I create a new user in the server (in the local /etc/passwd and
samba)  the home directory is automatically mapped in the logon, the
map problem occurs only with NIS users

Problem 02
-----------------
When trying to use the name resolution the server queries only by
broadcasting in my network, the clients machine names are in the
/etc/hosts  and /etc/samba/lmhosts files however these files are not
consulted by nmbd

How do I tell samba to look in lmhosts and hosts files instead of use
broadcast ?

# nmblookup client01
querying client01 on 192.168.1.127

( The machines are in a subnet with mask 255.255.255.192 )

Problem 03
-------------------
The log files always have the machine and machine ip lognames format
e.g.  cliente01.log  and 192.168.1.100.log

Is possible to say to samba do not log in IP log names format ?

Below my smb.conf file

[global]
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes

        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = lmhosts hosts wins bcast

        encrypt passwords = yes
        share modes = no
        security = user

        workgroup = mylab
        os level = 65
        netbios name = myserver
        server string = Samba File Server

        domain logons = yes
        logon drive = U:
        logon script = /etc/samba/logon/login.bat
        logon home = \\%L\%U
        load printers = yes
        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups