[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

Chris smb23 at realcomputerguy.com
Thu Aug 11 12:48:38 GMT 2005

On Thursday 11 August 2005 01:31 am, jurgen wrote:
> The way it worked before: Administrator would install printers into
> an NT workstation. Those printers would be able to be used by any
> user who logs into that machine. Users would inherit whichever
> printer set is installed on the machine they're using. The printers
> were named "Printername on Servername". So, were these network or
> local printers?

In the wonderful world of Windows you can install a network printer as a
"local" printer. This may have been what you did previously.

In fact I have a client with a certain TS application that will not
print correctly unless the remote printer is installed this way (I
think it's a PCL bug but the vendor doesn't know how to spell PS).

You can do it this way but the general trend is to pick network printer
in the printer wizard setup box for non-local printers.

> > Generally default permissions allow Windows users to install
> > network printers. If your users can't then something is changed.
>
> That's what I'm trying to figure out. My users can't install
> printers. Administrator can install printers, but users can't see
> them. What has changed? Where can I look to find this *something*
> that has changed? Is it a domain administration, policy, group issue?
> Is it some weird mismatch between driver types?

Normally you would get a message if the proper driver wasn't available.
Are the users added to the mapped Domain Users group?

Chris