[Samba] Administrator-installed printers unavailable to regular users

jurgen thinger at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 04:44:24 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I'm having a very strange problem with printers under 3.0.10, running
on an up to date Gentoo 2005.0 box. Essentially, if I install a
Samba-networked printer on one of our NT workstations as
"administrator", it doesn't show up for all the other users of that
particular machine. It's as if they don't have any printers installed.
What's more, none of these users have the required privileges to
install a printer by themselves.

We recently replaced our old Samba machine with a new server, which
may have something to do with this, but I really don't know where to
start looking. Administrator could install printers and make them
available to other machine users before the upgrade. At first I
thought it had something to do with the
auto-download-and-install-drivers magic, so I disabled that, but the
problem persisted.

Ideally, I'm looking for a way to let regular users install their own
printers, but some way to let administrator install printers that
everyone can use would be good too.

Here's most of my smb.conf file. What other information would be
helpful here? I don't even know where to start looking with this.

Best,

.......jurgen

----------------

[global]
        # Machine configurations

        workgroup = XXXX
        netbios name = Yarra
        server string = Yarra file server
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

        # PDC stuff

        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes
        local master = yes
        domain master = yes
        logon script = netlogon.bat
        domain logons = yes
        wins support = yes
        admin users = root

        # Security and log settings

        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = yes

        security = user
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        log level = 2
        max log size = 50
        hosts allow = x.x.x.x

        # User Profiles and Home Directory stuff

        logon drive = H:

        add machine script = smbpasswd -a -m %m

        # Printing with CUPS

        printing = cups
        printcap name = cups
        load printers = yes
        use client driver = no

        unix extensions = no

#
# ---------------------------------------------------
#

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        browseable = no
        writeable = yes
        path = /home/%U
        veto files = /*lost+found*/
        inherit permissions = yes
        hide dot files = yes

        follow symlinks = yes
        wide links = yes

        # MySQL Logging
        preexec =
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/freddy/commandLine/sambaLogin.php on %u %m
%d %I %S
        postexec =
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/freddy/commandLine/sambaLogin.php off %u %m
%d %I %

;[print$]
;       comment = Printer Drivers
;       path = /share/samba/printerdrivers
;       guest ok = no
;       browseable = yes
;       read only = yes
;       write list = root