[Samba] debian pam.d/gdm working config please

john dooley gpcglist at ontheparkgp.com
Wed Aug 10 12:52:32 GMT 2005

Hi all.
I posted a more complex message a few days ago about issues with
ubuntu/debian logging on to a debian domain member server through a
windows active directory server but got no reply.  At this stage I want
to work out for sure Ive got the ubuntu clients configured correctly.
2k3 info on ubuntu seems scarce and or non solutional for me.

security= ADS winbind/pam  net ads join works okay getent works
as per the samba by example chapter 7.  I do this on both the member
server with the shares and on the ubuntu clients.

Auth with active directory seems to be working...

Im still having trouble getting access to the shares on the debian
domain member server from the ubuntu clients though.

Can someone please post debian sarge pam.d/gdm etc that is configured
for winbind correctly.  Ive tried sticking auth etc sufficient
pam_winbind.so blindly everywhere to get the authentication and access
happening correctly but I still have issues with too many logon
dialogues (and also the share permissions).  The examples only deal with
Suse and Red Hat.

Also, no matter what I do I still only get share access on the member
server as read only...I can get full access only on the win2k3 server
when logging on as administrator and DOMAIN+administrator is added as an
admin user in smb.conf  (directory and file permissions set wide open,
chmod 777 -R the shared directory files, full control to domain users in
2003....is there something else I should be configuring with
users/groups to get full permissions???...it seems to be an issue with
the ubuntu boxes but not the 2k3 server.  Im going nuts with trying
smb.conf variations and am currently totally confused)

Thanks in advance

John Dooley