[Samba] Maybe OT?

Edward Brookhouse ebroo at healthydirections.com
Wed Aug 10 12:25:02 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I recently setup Samba to auth to Active Directory - wow do I feel like
an alchemist for doing that - despite the deceased foul involved in
getting this setup - it is now working very well.

My problem comes in that logging from AD is constantly complaining about
failed authentication. I assume that as the User ID field shows only the
SID that AD can not (reverse) map the user - so it's failing - but if my
samba is working well - how can I find out what is trying to auth??

Has anyone else set this up and figured out how to maybe cache
appropriate credentials to keep the errors from spewing?

Example error:

Where earth is DC Goethe is the Unix host -

<13>Aug 10 08:15:09 earth MSWinEventLog 2 Security 12336 Wed Aug 10
08:15:09 2005 675 Security SYSTEM User Failure Audit EARTH Account Logon
Pre-authentication failed: User Name: goethe$ User ID:
%{S-1-5-21-934913212-3928056223-3945149382-9156} Service Name:
krbtgt/CORP.PHILLIPS.COM Pre-Authentication Type: 0x0 Failure Code: 0x19
Client Address: 172.17.81.164 12232