[Samba] winbind-Problem with samba 3.0.14a/3.0.20pre and Solaris

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Aug 10 08:46:50 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 08:02:01AM +0200, Charles Bueche wrote:
> On lun, 2005-07-04 at 12:33 +0200, Joerg Dietze wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > anybody has a idea why getent groups only lists a few groups from my
> > NT4-Dom. ?
> > I have configured samba with security=domain, uid and gid maps and
> > configured nsswitch.conf
> > to use windbind.
> > wbinfo -g works fine but getent group stops after few domaingroups.

I had yesterday an incomplete list from `getent group` on system
where nsswitch is told to use NSS. None of the groups from LDAP were
shown. It turned out that the change from 'ou=Group' into 'ou=Groups'
in the LDAP database, also needed a change in /etc/libnss-ldap.conf
on 'nss_base_group'.
Has winbind also a  /etc/libnss-winbind.conf ?

> > I think the problem is the
> > domain-user - group because i can query all domaingroups with gentent group
> > <domain\groupname> except
> > the group domain-users. This group has more the 2000 members in it, it´s
> > possible thats the problem under solaris.

The query was about groups, not about the members of each group.
But yes, I can imaging "smart" programmers saying:

  Hey, a query about groups, next query is most likey about the members
  of those groups, lets fetch allready information about it.

Not realizing that it chokes the system.

> > I have also a linux - based NAS-head for tests here this box
> > works fine and lists all groups
> > with getent group.
> >
> > thank you
> > Joerg Dietze
>
> Hi Joerg,
>
> I have had the problem before, see my posts :
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-August/090422.html
>
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-June/087291.html
>
> If you have find a solution, please share :-)

People reading the archive love to read in the sane order   8^)

Please reply below the text.

> Charles

Cheers
Geert Stappers