[Samba] Slow sequential write on Samba drive

Don samba at geeksrus.ca
Tue Aug 9 17:01:32 GMT 2005

Hi,

I am experiencing very slow writes over samba.  We have a modest linux
network (about 6 servers) and a medium sized office (20-30 windows
boxes).  We have had a single linux file server that has done us yeoman
service for several years.  It is running RH 7.3.  I am trying to set up
the next generation file server with a huge (to me anyway) 2TB Promise
VTrak 12110 RAID disk.  I've installed Fedora Core 3 and got the file
server up and running and it works fine... except it seemed slower than
the older system.

So, I downloaded "Performance Test" from www.passmark.com that tests
things like hard drive speeds under Windows.  What the test told me was:

OLD SERVER
sequential read:   6.2 MB/s
sequential write: 6.4 MB/s
random seek + RW: 2 MB/s

NEW SERVER
sequential read:   8.9 MB/s
sequential write: 0.38 MB/s           <=====   *OUCH!!!*
random seek + RW: 15.9 MB/s

So, the read time is good, its just the sequential write time that
really sucks.  What I observed while running this test was the CPU went
up to 99% using "top" during the write time.

The new server is a Dell rack-mount server with a Xeon 2.8GHz CPU with
2G of RAM.  My smb.conf is below.

I don't really know what I'm doing in debugging Samba... its always
worked fine for me in the past and I've never experienced this kind of
problem so I'm not sure where to start.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Don

#======================= Global Settings
=====================================
[global]

        netbios aliases = fs3 work2fs
        workgroup = pgr
        server string = Samba Server

        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50

        smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
        name resolve order = wins host lmhosts bcast
        dns proxy = no
        preserve case = yes
        short preserve case = yes

==============================