[Samba] Windows can't see my Samba shares...

Pablo Pablo at CompuGenic.com
Tue Aug 9 17:02:40 GMT 2005

Vincente Aggrippino wrote:

>I'm using hosts allow correctly.  Please read below.
>
>>From http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/smb.conf.5.html ...
>hosts allow (S)
>    You can specify the hosts by name or IP number. For example, you
>could restrict access to only the hosts on a Class C subnet with
>something like allow hosts = 150.203.5. .
>
>That's the default location for the smbpasswd file and the one that it
>was reading, according to testparm -v, but I tried specifying it as
>you suggested anyway... no results.
>
>By the way, I have and can use Ethereal.  I've tried it with a filter
>like "port 137 or port 137 or port 138 or port 139 or port 445".  I
>just don't know how to interpret the results.  If anyone here
>understands the Ethereal output, I can post results.
>
>Thank you,
>    Vince
>
>On 8/8/05, raulanaya at netzero.com <raulanaya at netzero.com> wrote:
>

>>Two things,
>>First, your IP hosts allow = 192.168.1.??  is missing the last one or two characters.
>>Second try adding this definition to the [global] section.
>>"smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd"
>>Let me know if this fixes your problem.
>>-Raul
>>

>>-- Vincente Aggrippino <vaggrippino at gmail.com> wrote:
>>Ok... I'm really stumped.  I have checked thoroughly.  I've performed
>>all of the steps in the checklist from the HowTo... except for the
>>nmblookup parts.  The arguments to nmblookup seem to be based on an
>>old version.  I'm hoping someone will have an idea.  Here's the whole
>>situation...
>>
>>Server:
>>Fedora Core 3
>>Linux myserver 2.6.11-1.35_FC3 #1 Mon Jun 13 00:52:08 EDT 2005 i686
>>i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>>Samba v3.0.14a latest Fedora RPM available downloaded from samba.org today
>>-----
>>Client:
>>Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2
>>Firewall disabled
>>Workgroup name: HOME
>>-----
>>smb.conf:
>># Samba config file created using SWAT
>># from 127.0.0.1 (127.0.0.1)
>># Date: 2005/08/08 14:03:44
>>
>># Global parameters
>>[global]
>>    workgroup = HOME
>>    server string = home.aggrippino.com
>>    security = SHARE
>>    guest account = testsmb
>>    username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
>>    log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
>>    hosts allow = 192.168.1.
>>
>>[tmp]
>>    comment = temporary files
>>    path = /tmp
>>    guest ok = Yes
>>
>>[homes]
>>    read only = No
>>    guest ok = Yes
>>-----
>>I created a new user named testsmb on both the server and the client
> [...]
I think you don't have an LMB (Local Master Browser) on the subnet. Add
the following to the samba config file, in the [global] stanza:

domain master = yes   #only add this if there is NOT a domain contoller
present.
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

This will cause samba's nmbd process to force an election on startup,
and win the election for the local master browser.

PS: Setting "wins support = yes" in smb.conf will only work if the
windows client is configured to use the samba host as it's wins server.

I hope that helps you.

Pablo