[Samba] Re: Still having samba join domain problems

Michal Kurowski mkur at poczta.gazeta.pl
Tue Aug 9 03:12:50 GMT 2005

Anthony Hess [tonyh at engr.arizona.edu] wrote:
> Unfortunately Im running the built in Sun directory server.  Its Sun ONE 5.1
> directory server.  I guess there could be some configuration issue there,
> but it seems to be working OK for everything else (both on the unix and the
> samba side of things).  Im not even sure how I could post any kind of useful
> config information for that.

You will find schema files in:

$serverroot/slapd-$your_server_name/config/schema.

>From what you describe it's I'm pretty sure you don't have a proper
samba schema file included. Such a file can always be found in samba
source distribution (check the version !).

Unfortunately it's typical that some schema inconsistencies will not
show up during samba runtime until you try an operation on attributes
which have definitions that are broken.

> I compiled against the openldap libs, but that's about the only thing Ive
> used it for.  Maybe if I could get some suggestions on what the problem
> would be (or appropriate troubleshooting steps) in openldap I can try to
> translate into Sun ONE speak?

That's OK to use openldap client side in such a config. All the tools
speak simply ldap and there are no interoperability issues that would
stop samba from normal operation.

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski