[Samba] Bad performance with linux-client connected to a samba-server

Andreas.Hartmann at fiducia.de Andreas.Hartmann at fiducia.de
Mon Aug 8 09:15:27 GMT 2005

Hello!

I've a problem with the performance of the linux client, which mounts a share on
a samba server (samba 2.2.8 / Kernel 2.4.21 (SLES 8)). With windows clients
(Windows XP), the performance is fine (about 8 MB/s with fast ethernet).

With Linux clients, the performance is about 2,8 MB/s (fast ethernet, too). FTP
to the same machine results in 10 MB/s.

Therefore I traced the data during copying with ethereal on windows and on
linux. The difference is at the Read AndX Request:

Windows sets the Max Count Low to 32768, but on linux client, it is set to 4096.
Therefore, linux must do much more Read AndX Requests / Responses as Windows.

How can I tell my linux-client to use the same Max Count Low value, to achieve
the same performance? I tried to set Socket Options SO_SNDBUF and SO_RCVBUF, but
the Max Count Low - value isn't changed at all.

I'm mounting with smbmount. I tried too with cifs, but the problem doesn't get
better!

Kind regards,
Andreas Hartmann