[Samba] Only one user can play shared OGGs

Not Telling roza9000 at mail.com
Sat Aug 6 18:05:42 GMT 2005

Hi Everybody,

I was wondering if a few of you might be able to send some brainpower my way regarding a problem I've been having.

My Samba 3 server serves OGG files to serveral Windows XP clients, all on the same subnet. As "user_a", I've been ripping OGGs on one windows box and saving them to /home/user_a/ on the server. I can then copy these files from user_a's home directory to a shared directory named "common" (all this is defined below, where I have pasted my smb.conf file in its entirety).

User_a can play \common\*.ogg quite well via Nullsoft's Winamp, but when user_b logs on and tries the same, Winamp will play approximately 10 sec before crashing with an amorphous "Winamp has encountered a problem and needs to close" message.

I suspect that this problem has something to with file permissions, but i am stymied as to why. After all, user_a can read a *.txt file owned by user_b and vice-versa, why shouldn't the same be true for an *.ogg file. Could it be oplocks? I don't know, never having implemented them.

MUCH thanks in advance,

roza9K

------------smb.conf follows------------

[global]
	workgroup = simple
	server string = Long after known in Palestine

# following line is necessary for recieving encrypted passwords from
# win98 and winNTsp3 clients
	encrypt passwords = yes

# following 2 lines enable samba as a WINS server
	wins support = yes
	name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast

	security = user
	invalid users = root bin daemon adm sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator gopher

# following 3 lines enable CUPS printing
	load printers = yes
	printing = cups
	printcap name = cups

# following 5 lines enable samba as a winNT Primary Domain Controller
# NOTE: WinXP Home clients cannot participate in WinNT Domains!!
#	os level = 34
#	local master = yes
#	preferred master = yes
#	domain master = yes
#	domain logons = yes

[common]
	comment = The folder where everyone can play
	path = /export/samba/common
	browsable = yes
	read only = no
	guest ok = yes