[Samba] "guest account = XXX" not working in Samba 3.0.14a?

Fabio Muzzi liste at kurgan.org
Sat Aug 6 10:07:15 GMT 2005

This is my first try at setting up a "guest ok" share.

I  have  created an user named "guest" in Linux (since I don't want to use
the  default "nobody") that has group "users". Now, it seems that the "map
to guest" directive is completely ignored.

I have created the same user in samba (don't know if I need it)

I have set up Samba 3.0.14a as follows (lots of stuff removed):

[general]
 guest account = guest
 map to guest = bad user
 passdb backend = tdbsam guest

[guest_share]
  guest ok = yes
  read list = guest
  read only = no

Now,  when  I  connect to Samba with a nonexistent username, I see in the
logs  that the nonexistent username gets mapped to the user "nobody", when
it should get mapped to user "guest" as I stated in the general section.

Where  am  I  doing wrong? I don't want to use "nobody" because my "guest"
user belongs to "users" group, not to "nogroup".

I  have  tried  testparm -v and it seems that there are no errors and that
the "map to guest" directive gets read correctly.

--

  Fabio "Kurgan" Muzzi