[Samba] one opinion about searching samba docs for answers

William Burns William.Burns at aeroflex.com
Sat Aug 6 00:53:41 GMT 2005

John:

I agreee about the searchability of the samba list.
Using the "site" parameter of google helps by keeping your search
results limited (mostly) to the samba list.
http://www.google.com/search?q=domain_master_node_status_fail+site%3Asamba.org&hl=en&lr=
domain_master_node_status_fail site:samba.org

I've often wondered why there isn't a "next by thread" link on the
archived messages.
You can always take the extra click to get to the thread view, but often
there's no reply, and there's a tedious succession of wasted clicks.

This probably isn't an immediate help, but the code can be browsed online:
http://websvn.samba.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/branches/SAMBA_3_1_RELEASE/source/nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c?rev=2563&content-type=text%2Fplain

Someone probably thought that error message was self explanatory.
It does mention the term "Master Browser", which might cause a person to
look here:

How Browsing Functions
http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2561439

It also contains the term/phrase: "node status request", which might
prompt an aggressive google-jockey to try this search:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=node-status-request

Which (among other things) returns this link:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/Net/Net-NBName-0.25.readme

Which yields this info:
 > The node status request can be used to query the NetBIOS name table
of a remote host

All this together is *probably* enough to put a sys-admin on the right
track.

It's not always possible to direct a user to a single "relevant area of
configuration".
A lot depends on the circumstances of the application, and the intent of
the user.
Link-rot is another problem. If the documentation gets a significant
overhaul, then links (from error messages) into that documentation might
break over time.

If the code that generates the error messages in SAMBA is consistent
enough, it might be possible to generate a list of all the error messages.
 From there, it might be helpful to link all the buzzwords to glossary
entries.

If we assume that the list can be generated easily enough, how many
volunteers do you think might be available to identify terms, link to
definitions, solutions, and/or documentation?

-Bill

From: