[Samba] samba with NTLM *and* kerberos authentication

alex.nishri at utoronto.ca alex.nishri at utoronto.ca
Fri Aug 5 20:41:56 GMT 2005

We have an existing samba server with many userids, using NTLM
authentication (stored in OpenLDAP). We would like to add many other
userids, which will authenticate against an existing MIT kerberos server.
Each of our customers will have either an NTLM-based userid/password, or
a kerberos-based userid/password, but never both.

We would like both kinds of userids to work with the same samba server.
e.g. in a PC lab, if a customer enters kerberosUserid at REALMNAME.EDU
it should authenticate against our kerberos server, and allow access
to that user's Samba space; if another customer enters NTLMUserid,
it should authenticate using NTLM (stored in our OpenLDAP), and
allow access to that user's Samba space.

Is this possible ?

Alex Nishri
University of Toronto