[Samba] Wildcard include in smb.conf??

Jamie Heckford jamie at tridentmicrosystems.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 15:25:40 GMT 2005

Nathan Vidican wrote:
> Why not just:
>
> Include = /usr/local/etc/smb/%U.conf
>
> Not sure personally on the wildcard issue, but know you can use
> substitutions for username, machine name, server name, etc.

Hiya,

I tried using the %U substitution before for the share name, but
couldn't use this as when say user joe tried to connect to ians share,
it couldn't see the share. Worked perfectly but only if they connected
to their own share.

I imagine it will be the same for the include, Ie. only load the include
for the user connecting.

Im thinking of having the the include in smb.conf point to say
/etc/userlist, and the userlist being a file of includes to the
individual user configs. The files and configs im trying to include are
dynamically generated, so I can't hardcode them, but I could hardcode to
this userlist file and then update that. Not sure how well this would
work with regards to reloading the configs, time to fire up the test
rack again :)

Any pointers appreciated.

Cheers,

--