[Samba] Low throughput on high bandwidth delay network

Praveen Kumar J jag_praveen at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 5 03:43:51 GMT 2005

Hi,
    I am trying to use samba with a high latency
(100ms) and bandwidth ( 1 Gbps) network. Both the
samba server and client run 2.6.9-5.0.3 linux kernel.
I am testing performance from a share mounted by
smbmount on the client.

    The performance is pretty low as each packet sent
during RTT is just 4KB.  I tried to increase the
following parameters in smb.conf

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
SO_SNDBUF=167777777 SO_RCVBUF=16777777
block size = 1048576
read size = 1048576
read prediction = true
read raw = yes
max xmit = 1048576
packet size = 1048576

    No effect on the throughput. It hovers around 400
kbps. Any input on how to fill the network with larger
read requests would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Praveen