[Samba] Machine account setup fail

Mark Wright mpwright at speedfactory.net
Thu Aug 4 20:30:32 GMT 2005

Hi all

I am trying to set up a Ubuntu Samba server from scratch.  I did this
last year with 2.2.  I need a PDC and roaming profiles.  Problem is I
can't join the domain with my lone test PC running NT4.  I am getting
a message saying that the machine account cant be established.  Her
is the log data;

2005/08/03 20:30:08, 0] rpc_server/srv_samr_nt.c:_samr_create_user(2324)
   _samr_create_user: Running the command `/usr/sbin/useradd -s /bin/
false \-d /dev/null l200772$' gave 1
useradd: unable to lock password file

Testparm runs oK,  I have encrypt password = yes, I have been
studying the Official Samba 3 How to guide but can't figure this out.

I can "net use" the server from the client and map a home share.
Smbclient gives me :

casey at ubuntu:~$ smbclient -L Ubuntu
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TCCGIRLS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Ubuntu]

         Sharename       Type      Comment
         ---------       ----      -------
         print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
         Home            Disk      Home folders
         IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (ubuntu server (Samba,
Ubuntu))
         ADMIN$          IPC       IPC Service (ubuntu server (Samba,
Ubuntu))
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[TCCGIRLS] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.14a-Ubuntu]

         Server               Comment
         ---------            -------
         GATEWAY              Gateway (Xandros Desktop)
         UBUNTU               ubuntu server (Samba, Ubuntu)

         Workgroup            Master
         HOME                 L200772
         MDKGROUP             LOCALHOST
         TCCGIRLS             UBUNTU

Note:  MDKGROUP has Samba services turned off and L200772 is the NT
workstation that I am trying to join the domain with.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark