[Samba] Mapping HPUX to Windows Shared Directories

Tony Gardner agardner at haascnc.com
Thu Aug 4 17:17:04 GMT 2005

Samba Community:
In the event there are other HPUX users who may be interested in the answer to this question, I am forwarding the following response which I received from Hewlett Packard:

Tony,

>From the verbiage in your original case I kind of suspected this may be want you wanted to do. Unfortunately Samba is not the product that will allow you to accomplish this goal. Samba only allows you to share out Unix file systems and printers for use by Windows/SMB clients.

What you want is a product called CIFS/9000 Client. The CIFS Client application makes the HPUX Server a SMB Client, allowing you to mount a Windows share onto the Unix server for use by your Unix users and programs. It would allow you to mount the docs share onto your Unix box.

If you do not have CIFS/9000 Client installed on the system you can download the latest version here:

https://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=B8724AA

the most current version is the A.02.01. This product does require a system reboot when installing. I am attaching a copy of the Installation and Administration Guide for the product to this email.

Some key points:

- You can mount the Windows shares manually, using either the Unix mount command or a command called cifsmount. You can also place your mounts in the /etc/fstab file.

- Security is maintained by the Windows server exporting the share, this means that EACH and EVERY user/process that wants to access the mounted file system must be authenticated as a valid Windows user. It is unlike NFS where once it's there anyone can access it. Authentication is done on a per user basis, unless you setup what is knows as guest access, where everyone looks like the same generic Windows account.

- CIFS Client does NOT support file locking across the mount, it will cause your program to hang very often.

- The Unix users can be authenticated either using NTLM or Kerberos by the Windows server. This is configured in the cifsclient configuration file, and is one of the very few changes you should make to this file (unlike Samba where you modify many things).

Please review the documentation and let me know if you have any specific questions regarding the CIFS Client product.

Regards,

Keith Lautenschlager
Senior Response Center Engineer
Hewlett-Packard Corporation