[Samba] Repost: Temporary files with word

Lee Ball lee at effective-it.co.uk
Thu Aug 4 10:37:47 GMT 2005

I am guessing that you use roaming profiles on the Samba server.

Compare their ntuser.dat (sometimes called NTUSER.DAT) files with one of
the users who was created before the migration.
You may find that the word registry key inside the NTUSER.DAT file has
some inconsitencies with the ones inside the older users.

Do you know your domain SID? If not try running the command net
getlocalsid (if that doesn't work try running net rpc info).

You will find that SID entry for your domain in each users ntuser.dat
files (or at least thats how it should work).
I am guessing that somehow word seems able to create the files, possibly
by overriding the domain SID (what are the user in questions local
privelages and do they differ with other users?) but the user cannot
then delete them due to Word creating them with this "higher power".

I may be waffling (infact I know I am) but try running the command
"profiles <ntuser.dat file>" from within the users profiles, also stick
a > in their to output to a file so you can easily compare them with
each other. Maybe doing a diff if you want to get bogged down with it.

Then post your findings.

Another thing, this new user isn't missing group membership in any way
are they?