[Samba] LDAP, uidNumber, SID

Martin Renner m.renner at exxcellent.de
Wed Aug 3 21:24:41 GMT 2005

Hi.

I am upgrading a Samba 2.2 PDC (using smbpasswd as its user backend) to
Samba 3.0 with LDAP.

The current user uids and machine account uids are quite messed up. As
the LDAP database stores the uid *and* the SID of each user and machine
account, I would like to know if it would be possible to renumber the
uids (uidNumber of samba.schema). The SID would remain unchanged (by
using the formula "oldUid * 2 + 1000").

Is this possible without losing account information or machine trusts?
The accounts are not used for unix logins, only for the Samba PDC and
Windows clients. IMHO changing the uidNumber should not affect the
Windows clients since they see just the SID which would remain
unchanged. Or am I wrong?

Regards,
Martin Renner