[Samba] Error: "The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Benjamin Schell ben_schell at ncsu.edu
Wed Aug 3 19:23:26 GMT 2005

Hi all,

I have been having a bit of trouble setting up my Samba 3-OpenLDAP
PDC...This is something totally new to me (no previous Samba experience
at all).  I've had several speedbumps, but I've finally got my setup
almost complete.  I can join computers to the domain, however, if I try
to logon with a user, I get the above error from Windows.  I can logon
as a Domain Administrator, but if the user is a member of any other
group, they cannot login.

I have setup my machine to use LDAP for authentication via pam as well,
and I am currently suspecting some issues with my group mappings, but
I'm not sure.  This is my first experience with LDAP as well (and by
extension pam_ldap, etc.), so it could be a possible issue there...

I'm not including any configs, but they can be posted easily.

Any and all help greatly appreciated! I've scoured for help and it could
be something quite dumb/easy to fix.

Thanks!
-Ben