[Samba] Documentation clarification re: SLES9 and nsswitch

Kevin B kevin1a at varlog.net
Wed Aug 3 05:03:12 GMT 2005

Hello,
I've been unable to succeed with Samba-Ldap setup on SLES9 until this
evening.
I thought I had a PAM issue but that was not the case.
To cut to the chase, I ran Yast's 'ldap-server' module without any changes
as it found the ldap server settings.
Once finished I could join the domain from XP Pro which is what I was
unable to do.  I checked what Yast did and it
reset /etc/nsswitch.conf -with- the 'compat' entries that are
not to be used accorting to the 'Examples' Doc's:
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/happy.html#sbehap-PAM-NSS
[note the warning box re: Suse at 5.4-5.5]

On my Centos4.1 box, the 'compat' lines were removed and the server
works fine.
On SLES9 I can only succeed with 'compat'. Remove them and it fails to
find 'root' username to join.
Re: the Docs, I guess I assumed that Suse9 and SLES9 would act the same way.
They must not.  I'll have to setup a Suse9 box to test it.

Can anyone verify this please?

Thanks in advance to the samba team and everyone here who helps out
on the list.

Kevin B