[Samba] Samba 3.0.10 joining Windows 20003 ADS

Andrew Zbikowski andyzib at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 00:26:10 GMT 2005

How about some thread necromancy.

Here's the issue I was working to resolve back in December of '04.
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-December/097804.html

Until today I never really resolved this problem to my satisfaction.
Samba worked with ADS, and that was fine. Today I was attempting to
perform the same setup on a new Linux server, and I was running into
the same error, and things were just not working.

Unlike last year however, I found a solution. Instead of relying on
Samba to pick it's domain controller or specifying my local domain
controller, I pointed Samba at the FSMO role master using the
"password server" directive in smb.conf. When I did so, net ads join
worked without error, and things came together, and things started to
function beautifully.

As our FSMO roles are on one server, I can't say for sure which FSMO
role Samba was looking for. Maybe it was after all five, maybe just
one.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://andy.zibnet.us
 A password is like your underwear; Change it