[Samba] RCS/delete on close/delete readonly

Dave Hill adh at newnhamresearch.com
Tue Aug 2 14:20:42 GMT 2005

Hi

Apologies if this is a FAQ, I've tried Googling...

I'm trying to set up CD-RCS on Windows boxes talking to our Linux Server
(Samba 3.0.10-1.fc1.1.legacy).

Apparently, the way this works is that it needs to be able to delete
files that are read-only and not owned by you; they recommend that you
set "delete readonly = yes" in the config file.

The problem is that this doesn't cure the problem. I have a Linux
Directory which has permissions drwxrwsrwx and files that are owned by
several people inside it. If you try to checkout the files in CS-RCS,
you get "permission denied". If you try to delete the file from Windows
Explorer or CMD prompt, you get permission denied (after the "do you
want to delete this read-only file" prompt).

This message is logged in the samba log (if you increase the debug
level):-

set_delete_on_close_internal: file <name> delete on close flag set but
file attribute is readonly.

The guys I am trying to set this up for said that they are sure it used
to work when they had the demo version of the software, since then,
however, I have updated samba from 3.0.7 to 3.0.10 as part of general
updates on the machine.

If I use smbclient to connect to the share, I can "rm" the file quite
happily once the "delete readonly" flag is set.

The support desk from componentsoftware say:

When you check-in/check-out, RCS is creating a temporary file named
",<filename>,". Then, it removes the original "<filename>,v" and rename
",<filename>," to "<filename>,v". Please note that this procedure
requires directory permission (rather then file permission).

Using file creation modes and UNIX groups, you must verify that files
created by one user, can be deleted by another user. To verify that,
create a file from the Windows Explorer of one workstation. From another
workstation, modify that file and then delete it. Repeat this trial for
all your workstations. (If you are using a shared working area, please
perform the above trial on both the repository and the working folders.)

Please refer to the Multiplatform section of the FAQ for full details on
Samba setup files. URL:
http://www.componentsoftware.com/Products/RCS/faq/index.html?unixwin.htm

Dave

--