[Samba] Re: NTLM-Auth Problem

Patrick blitz blitz at post891.org
Tue Aug 2 12:16:51 GMT 2005

From: Patrick blitz
To: samba at lists.samba.org
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 11:25 AM
Subject: NTLM-Auth Problem

Good Morning.

For my vpn Server, i'm using a winbindd and NTLM Based Authentication setup
against my AD.

Recently, as a new User was added, i found this:

The User can't log in using ntlm_auth at all, getting rejected because of
"No Such user". On the windows Side, the user works just fine, and other
users can use ntlm_auth fine.

Heres my smb.conf on the vpn server (only winbindd and nmbd are started)

Samba version 3.0.14a-Debian (Distro should be clear to by that :))

rom-linux:~# cat /etc/samba/smb.conf
 [global]
 workgroup = DOMAIN
 realm =DOMAIN.LAN
 interfaces = 192.168.12.30 127.0.0.1
 server string = server.DOMAIN.lan
 load printers = no
 log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
 security = ads
 local master = no
 domain master = no
 preferred master = no
 wins server = 192.168.12.2
 dns proxy = no
 winbind uid = 10000-20000
 winbind gid = 10000-20000
 winbind use default domain = yes
 winbind separator = \\

--------

Sorry to follow up on my own Message, (which, as i just found out was HTML
mail, sorry for that)
but i've now found out that the problem lies in the length of the Username.

The Username in question is less than 5 Letters long. This was tested with
several such short usernames, and all have the same problem.

Anyway one can fix this?

Patrick