[Samba] Winbind Understanding

Ryan Kather rkather at missionpenguin.com
Tue Aug 2 11:45:02 GMT 2005

I would like some clarification on Winbind's capabilities.  I have winbind
up and fully functional.  I can use wbinfo -g, wbinfo -u, etc..

I would like to use winbind to correlate sids to uid on filesystems
mounted with smbfs or cifs.  In reading further I see lots of information
about doing this on EXT3 (or Linux filesystems that support ACL).
Perhaps, I had misunderstood the purpose of winbind.

Is it possible for winbind to present smbfs or cifs mounted volumes in
linux with uid and gid's corresponding to the windows sids?  Thanks for
any information.

Regards,
Ryan