[Samba] can't write to writeable drives

Bill Measday linux_test at measday.com
Tue Aug 2 10:15:27 GMT 2005

Since I've been having some Samba  problems of late, I decided on a new
approach.

Returning to absolute basics, I created a new test directory with full
permissions to all parties (ie UNIX code 777).  I then pulled the most
basic smb.conf from the Samba website and changed relevant names only:

[global]
workgroup = Netgroup
netbios name = Host
security = SHARE

[data]
comment = Data
path = /data/bill
force user = bill
force group = net_users
read only = No
guest ok = Yes

I can connect to the drive just fine and read files.  I can't however,
write anything.

>From Windows, I get Access is Denied.  From SMBClient on Linux Box I get
NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED making remote directory \test (trying a mkdir
test).

Clearly this should work, but what can it be?  I'm at a loss

Running Samba 3.0.14a under kernel 2.6.11-1.1369 (Fedora core 4)