[Samba] home dir permissions change

Theron Toomey it at nicholas.duke.edu
Mon Aug 1 18:39:05 GMT 2005

Hello,
I'm having a problem with home directory permissions on samba 3.0.14a
running on RHEL 3 with a mix of w2k and xp clients. I'd really
appreciate any suggestions or help.

Every once in a while, a user's home directory will change from mode
0770 to 0751 (drwxr-x--x). Up until recently, this happened
infrequently- usually when a user logged in for the first time or, if an
admin account logged in to a workstation, the next user to log in would
be affected.

However, two weeks ago (around when the latest MS patches came out) this
problem became much more frequent and now happens randomly. Right now,
we see it 3-5 times/day in a population of around 200 active accounts.
 From the timing, I suspect that the July MS patches are to blame.

We use security=domain with a samba PDC, roaming profiles are enabled
and stored in /home/user/profile (under a user's home directory). From
what I can tell, the permissions change when a user logs off and their
roaming profile is copied up to the share.

Our home shares look like this:
[home-share]
   comment         = Home Folders
   path            = /home
   create mask     = 0770
   directory security mask = 0770
   profile acls    = yes
   browseable      = yes
   guest ok        = no
   read only       = no

Has anyone else seen this behavior or have any ideas about what might be
causing it?

Thanks for your help.

--
Theron Toomey, System Administrator