[Samba] win xp pro: can't login to samba domainNT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Dominik J. Fischer info at kinimod.net
Sat Apr 30 21:28:09 GMT 2005

Dear List!

I am having a problem when trying to login from win xp prof sp 2 to samba
3.0.10 pdc (with ldap) on my Gentoo box:

samba log says:

check_ntlm_password:  mapped user is: [TUXNT]\[root]@[P9WS]
ntlm_password_check: NT MD4 password check failed for user root
init_ldap_from_sam: Setting entry for user: root
check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [root] -> [root] FAILED with
error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

Can you tell me what I did wrong? Do I have to path my windows registry for
ntlm authentication?

Thank you in advance!!

my smb.conf
# Global parameters
[global]
dos charset = 850
unix charset = ISO8859-1
workgroup = TUXNT
netbios name = SRV
server string = SAMBA-LDAP PDC Server %v
interfaces = lo, eth0
bind interfaces only = Yes
update encrypted = Yes
client schannel = Yes
server schannel = Yes
passdb backend = ldapsam:ldaps://127.0.0.1:636
client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
client lanman auth = No
client plaintext auth = No
log level = 3
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 50
time server = Yes
add user script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m
add group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p
add user to group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m
delete user from group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x
set primary group script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g
add machine script = /usr/local/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w
domain logons = Yes
os level = 255
preferred master = Yes
domain master = Yes
wins proxy = Yes
wins support = Yes
ldap admin dn = cn=Manager,dc=TUXNT,dc=LOCAL
ldap delete dn = Yes
ldap group suffix = ou=Groups
ldap machine suffix = ou=Computers
ldap passwd sync = Yes
ldap suffix = dc=TUXNT,dc=LOCAL
ldap ssl = no
ldap user suffix = ou=Users
vscan-clamav:config-file = /etc/samba/vscan-clamav.conf
valid users = root
admin users = root
guest ok = Yes
vfs objects = vscan-clamav