[Samba] Q for folks using Samba with XFS

Michael Lueck mlueck at lueckdatasystems.com
Sat Apr 30 18:06:04 GMT 2005

For several reasons we switched over to XFS, which is from what I have heard the favorite file system of the Samba project. Anyway, it has built-in backup / restore programs which I am trying to get
working properly. No matter if I tell xfsdump to backup a directory which does or DOES NOT exist, it always complains that it does not exist. I just wondered if anyone ran into this error situation
never and knew what the sharp spot is I am running up against. Here is one of the syntax's I have tried...

xfsdump -e -F -f /ext_backup/cirlnx01/pdoxdata -L $STAMP"PDoxData" -l 0 -v 5 /srv/shares/pdoxdata/

where /ext_backup/ is the mount point for an external USB/FireWire HDD cirlnx01 is a dir on the HDD, and pdoxdata would be a backup file. /srv/shares/ is a dir I create the Samba shares in, looking to
backup the pdoxdata share. The specific error returned is as follows...

xfsdump: ERROR: /srv/shares/pdoxdata/ does not identify a file system

I would like to do a bit more verification that it is not bad syntax on my part, else I am tempted to flip the following bug report to a higher priority as for all I can see xfsdump is just plain
broke which is not very useful at all!

Michael Lueck
Lueck Data Systems
http://www.lueckdatasystems.com/