[Samba] Q: windbind, local groups and domain user membership?

Albrecht Dreß albrecht.dress at lios-tech.com
Fri Apr 29 07:13:11 GMT 2005

Hi,

I run a Fedora 2 box with Samba 3.0.10 as a domain member. The PDC is a
Win server with AD.

Running winbind, all domain users and groups are visible on the Samba box.

To grant a special group of domain users access to parts of a samba
share, I would like to

- add a *local* group on the samba box (*not* in AD!) and
- add some *domain* users to this new group.

Unfortunately the trick of adding a local unix group doesn't work as
samba apparently doesn't take them into account, so I guess I have to
add the group to winbind. However, the wbinfo man page only describes
how I could add a local user to a local group, not a domain user.

Maybe I'm just too dumb to understand the man pages - any advice how to
get this setup working would be really welcome!

Cheers,
Albrecht

--
LIOS Technology GmbH