[Samba] Automatic creation of home directories

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Thu Apr 28 19:05:12 GMT 2005

tor, 28.04.2005 kl. 20.09 skrev James Watkins:

> Hi all, after searching the archives of this list and extensive general
> googling, I still haven't worked this problem out so I thought it was
> time to join the list.
> I'm trying to make my samba server create home directories on-the-fly
> when new users login.  As I understand it, the way to do this is to use
> the mkhomedir module and enable "obey pam restrictions" in smb.conf.
> The trouble is that I'm using domain security to allow existing domain
> users to login which means I have to use "encrypt passwords = yes".
> Now, as I understand from the official samba howto:
>
> http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/pam.html
>
> pam is automatically ignored when encrypted passwords are used.
> So how do I resolve this conflict?
> And on a related matter, if I use pam_winbind to authenticate users of a
> unix system against a windows domain controller does this mean that the
> passwords are send unencrypted?
>
> Any suggestions would help to preserve my sanity.

With my Samba 3.0.13 (and previous back to 3.0.7 when i started) theres
a share possibility 'root prexec'. There you can enter scripts to run on
connecting to the share. You can write a tiny script to make home and
profile dirs on the fly, if they don't exist, based on users and groups,
and even chmod.

--Tonni

--
Nothing sucksseeds like a pigeon without a beak ...

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They'll love us, won't they? They feed us, don't they? ...