[Samba] Samba client join domain subnet issues

dijuremo at math.gatech.edu dijuremo at math.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 28 17:52:18 GMT 2005

I have 3 subnets in my building.
Subnet 1. Most of my samba clients and server are in this subnet
Subnet 2. Few win xp sp2 clients.
Subnet 3. Few win xp sp2 clients.

If I put a client in subnet 1 and try to join the domain, then everything
works fine (client firewall enabled). However, if I move the client to
subnets 2 or 3, then I cannot join the domain unless I disable the windows
xp firewall on the client.

All my clients use the samba server on subnet 1 as the WINS server and
netbios over tcp/ip is enabled.  Any ideas why this does not work on a
different subnet where the server lives without disabling the firewall?

I even tried enabling the windows xp sp2 firewall section called "File
sharing" on the windows client to all 3 subnets (opening 137 and 138 udp
plus 139 and 445 tcp)  but joining the domain still does not work.  It will
only work with the firewall disabled.

My server firewall has 137 and 138 UDP plus 139 and 445 TCP openened to all
three subnets.

Diego