[Samba] Mirrored samba servers.

David Schlenk david-schlenk at bethel.edu
Thu Apr 28 14:12:00 GMT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 08:17 -0400, Richmond Dyes wrote:
> I have a customer that is using 250 gig drives for his business data.  I
> have been using rsync to keep mirror copies of his data on a second
> machine.  In the last 3 months I have lost 2 of four drives, the last
> one being the system drive.  I have been doing a manual switchover. Each
> time rsync runs, I copy my samba conf files, passwd, shadow and group
> files from etc.  Has anyone setup a HA configuration for samba servers
> on separate machines. If so, where can I get information for this kind
> of setup?

http://thorin.xp.bethel.edu:7080/blojsom/blog/schdav/

Keep in mind that my requirements probably don't match yours. I don't do
any file sharing (other than printer drivers), so you'll probably want
to look into a SCSI RAID (probably RAID5) system that's shared between
the machines, and get yourself some stonith devices so you don't corrupt
your filesystems. Also some linked files might be unavailable to the
general internet - email me off list if you want them and I'll make them
available somewhere public. I haven't put this setup into production yet
but it seems to work pretty well in the tests I've done.

--
David Schlenk
Operating Systems Analyst
david-schlenk at bethel.edu