[Samba] Question about "nss_ldap: could not get LDAP result - Can't contact LDAP server" error

tom burkart samba at aussec.com
Thu Apr 28 00:25:51 GMT 2005

On Apr 27, Luiz Alfredo Baggiotto wrote:

> We have a OpenLDAP-2.2.23 + Samba 3.0.14a and the system is logging a lot (one to each minute, more or less) of errors like this:
> server smbd[10799]: [ID 510469 daemon.error] nss_ldap: could not get LDAP result - Can't contact LDAP server
Are you using "start tls"?  If yes, are you using self-signed
certificates?

> I´m using it because I was compiled LDAP with wrapper option and wrapper doens´t support more than 256 simultaneous connections. Then, I´m thinking if smbd process is trying to restablish a closed connection and because that generating the error. Is it possible?
Possible.  But look at it from this angle:  Is there a need for you to
restrict this?  -  As in how many active ldap clients will there be at any
one time?  Of course there is the other issue of just turning it off to
test/verify the system and then seeing whether it is necessary and then
turning it back on.

tom.
Consultant

AUSSEC    Phone: 61 4 1768 2202