[Samba] kernel oops generated by smbfs module

Erik Osheim erik at plastic-idolatry.com
Tue Apr 26 17:27:50 GMT 2005

Greetings,

I have run into a kernel oops that I can generate at will, and that
hangs my machine. The machine is running Gentoo Linux, 2.6.11 kernel
and gcc 3.3.5. I can post more information if needed.

The problem arises when I mount an SMB share from a 2000-series Snap
server (network appliance); software version 3.4.804, hardware 2.0.3.
The mount is fine, and can sit for a long time. However, as soon as I
start doing ls in directories on the mount, or tab-completing
filenames (i.e. short reads), I get a kernel oops. This invariably
happens within 20 seconds of starting to do this.

I have tried two separate NICs (one tulip-compatible card and a 3com
905B) both of which have the same problem. The machine hangs whether
or not smbfs is a module (although running it as a module makes the
source of the oops more obvious).

I have never debugged the linux kernel before. What information do you
folks need from me? I have at least one of the oopses in
/var/log/messages, and can generate more of them. I read some of the
kernel documentation but found it a little bit confusing, which is why
I'm asking here.

Regards,

-- Erik Osheim