[Samba] 'Not listening for calling name'

Chris Scott scottci at usc.edu
Fri Apr 22 21:20:31 GMT 2005

Vicky,

I am having the exact same samba problem that you seemed to have back in
2002.  I know that seems like a while ago but if you remember the solution
to the following problem I would appreciate some help.

One of the main errors I am getting from the logs from the windows clients
is this: smbd/password.c:(1558)

  domain_client_validate: could not fetch trust account password for domain
DOMAIN.

And the errors that I am getting when I try to do an smbclient //bb6/user -d
6 is the following:

added interface ip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx bcast=xxx.xxx.xxx.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

added interface ip=192.168.2.4 bcast=192.168.2.255 nmask=255.255.255.0

Client started (version 2.2.0).

resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name bb6<0x20>

startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /opt/sfw/lib/lmhosts. Error was No
such file or directory

resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name bb6<0x20>

Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at port 139..

session request to BB6 failed (Not listening for calling name)

resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name bb6<0x20>

startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /opt/sfw/lib/lmhosts. Error was No
such file or directory

resolve_hosts: Attempting host lookup for name bb6<0x20>

Connecting to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx at port 139

It may help to say that my windows clients are on a different subnet from my
samba box.

This error seemed to be just like yours, if you remember what you did, let
me know.

Thanks a lot,

Chris Scott