[Samba] smb ports feedback

Ed Kasky ed at esson.net
Fri Apr 22 21:10:30 GMT 2005

At 01:01 PM Friday, 4/22/2005, Alan wrote -=>
>Having read a few posts recently I thought I would do some testing.
>
>Given XP's use of 445 and that I have a couple of networks where they only
>have XP clients, I thought I would try setting smb ports to 445 only
>rather than that suggested of just specifying 139.
>
>This has worked well for XP clients with SP2.
>
>However SP1, and presumably pre-SP1 clients, lose all sight of the NBT
>network. Indeed they report an RPC error on start-up.

Another option is to block 445 which forces XP to use 139 right away
avoiding the errors.

http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2004-April/084048.html

I have yet to do a trace on this myself...

Ed Kasky
~~~~~~~~~
Randomly Generated Quote (345 of 477):
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.