[Samba] machine uid range

Tony Earnshaw tonye at billy.demon.nl
Fri Apr 22 18:55:02 GMT 2005

Charles McLaughlin wrote:

> Is it possible to configure Samba so that when a new Windows machine
> joins the Samba domain it will have a UID in a certain range?  I'd like
> the machine accounts to have a different range than user accounts.

In fact, I have a single Samba 3.0.11 PDC with ldapsam backend running
for a high school, where the LDAP server (DSA) had already been  up and
running for months. I had users and groups divided into directors,
administrators, staff, teachers and pupils. It wasn't hard to add
scripts for adding machines and Windows groups for Samba.

The Samba tools (daemons and binary management tools) had no trouble in
coping with  the infrastructure, took to it like a duck to water. But
I'd already written my own scripts for adding Unix/mail/print quotausers
to LDAP groups, found it easy to write one for adding users and machines
to the ldapsam backend - however, they don't do this on the fly,
everything has to be done by hand, one step at a time.

It wouldn't be possible with the present idealx scripts.

..Tonni

mail: tonye at billy.demon.nl
http://www.billy.demon.nl

They love us, don't they, They feed us, won't they ...