[Samba] Samba AD Groups

FitzGerald, AJ AFitzgerald at FiveMileCapital.com
Fri Apr 22 18:38:50 GMT 2005

Hey All,

    I have successfully been able to integrate AD authentication into
Samba, but today I came across and unusual problem.  First I should
mention I am using NT ACL support and setting up the ACL's on the Linux
box.  The problem I have is Samba/Winbind will correctly recognize and
authenticate some AD groups I have set up but there a some it will not.
The AD groups have been setup as Security and not Distribution, one of
the first things I check.  I also ran wbinfo -g and all the groups are
listed.  But as soon as I try to use a handful of groups in particular
either under "valid users" in the smb.conf or in an ACL they just don't
work.  If I swap them out with other groups, it works as it should.  I
have compared the groups in AD and they are identical.  I also created a
few test groups and have the same result.  The only major difference I
can think of is how old the groups are.  Meaning the older AD groups
work fine but any new ones I create don't.  At this point I am going in
circles and can't figure out why some work and some don't.  And yes I
made sure I was a member of all the groups used to assure I could mount
or access the share.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

AJ

None of the information contained in this email message constitutes or should be construed as investment advice or as an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any security.

The information contained in the e-mail message is intended for the exclusive use of its intended addressee and may contain confidential or proprietary information.  If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.  Any use, disclosure, or distribution of any part of this message by any unintended recipient is strictly prohibited.